Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by building code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the City of Cashmere and obtain the required permit.
Permits are Required For:
- Any new construction, remodeling or addition that modifies the roof or foundation structure or a bearing wall of a building or structure. This does not include interior improvements which do not affect the structural integrity of the building such as new flooring, wall coverings, etc.
- Fences - A fence permit is required to ensure the builder is aware of zoning requirements.
- Sprinkler Systems - A permit is issued to ensure that the installer places a backflow prevention device between the City water system and the private residence.
- Wood stoves - A permit is issued for new installations or an inspection of any previous installations.
- Swimming Pools - both in-ground and above ground.
- Decks over 30-inches above ground or roofed decks.
- Retaining walls over 4-feet tall as measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
- Installations of propane tanks.
- Installations of gas appliances/fireplace logs.
- Installation/decommissioning of underground storage tanks.
- Demolition of buildings or structures - Cost of permit calculated by square footage of building.
Work Exempt from Permits:
Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of building code or any other laws or ordinances of the City of Cashmere. Permits shall not be required for the following:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or IIA liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30-inches above adjacent grade, and not part of an accessible route.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two family dwellings.
- Window awnings of Group R-3 and U occupancies supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54-inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support .
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5-feet 9-inches in height.
Information Required for a Building Permit Submittal:
- Two (2) sets of structural plans, one (1) set shall be no larger than 11x17.
- Site plan showing:
- dimensions of property,
- placement of all buildings on the property including proposed buildings or additions, and relationship of buildings to property lines.
- Dimensions of all buildings including new construction.
- Contractor’s name, mailing address, phone number & Washington State Contractor’s license number.
- Parcel number.
- Legal description.
- Lending Institution or bonding form name, address and phone (RCW 19.27.095)